One of the most honored and respected attorneys in Texas, Steve Laird has long been recognized for his tough negotiating skills, a trial-tested ability to connect with juries, and high ethical standards in the complex world of personal injury litigation.
Steve is one of the few lawyers to be Board Certified in both Personal Injury Trial Law and Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, as well as designated as a Specialist in both Civil Trial and Truck Accident Law by the National Board of Trial Advocacy.
During the past 35 years Steve has secured some of the state’s largest and most important verdicts on behalf of the victims of truck wrecks and in other cases involving personal injuries and wrongful deaths. Those accomplishments extend to the bargaining table, where Steve has consistently demonstrated that his experience, honesty and resilience can gain significant settlements for his clients outside the courtroom.
Steve is often recognized by his peers for excellence in the practice of law. He has been honored annually on the list of the “Best Lawyers in America” in personal injury litigation since 2012, and is the only personal injury attorney in Tarrant County named to the “Top 100” list of Texas Super Lawyers for 16 out of the past 17 years. He has been honored with the annual Professionalism Award from the College of the State Bar of Texas, as well the Tarrant County Bar Association, and as Trial Lawyer of the Year by the Tarrant County Trial Lawyers Association.
His leadership to the legal profession is evident in his prior service as president of the Fort Worth Chapter and the State of Texas Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates, president of the Tarrant County Trial Lawyers Association, director of the Tarrant County Bar Association, and president and charter member of the Eldon Mahon Chapter of the Fort Worth Inn of Court. He has also served as chairman or as a member of numerous committees for the State Bar of Texas.
In addition to his trial work, Steve is a frequent speaker on trucking and personal injury and wrongful death topics before local, state and national legal and business associations.
Steve earned his law degree from the South Texas College of Law in 1980, received a Master’s of Business Administration degree from Texas Christian University in 1977 and his undergraduate degree in Business from Texas Tech University in 1976.
Certifications and Degrees
- National Board Certification in Truck Accident Law by the National Board of Trial Advocacy
- National Board Certification in Civil Trial Law from the National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law and Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Steve is one of the rare lawyers nationally – and one of only a handful in the state of Texas – to earn the degree of Master of Laws in trial advocacy from Temple University, which is consistently ranked as the nation’s leading trial advocacy program.
Honors and Awards
- Named to the Top 100 Texas Super Lawyers by Thomas Reuters and featured in Texas Monthly magazine (2003-2013, 2015-2021) With 80,000 licensed attorneys in Texas, being named as one of the Top 100 is truly an honor.
- Received Tarrant County Bar Association 2021 Blackstone Award. The Blackstone Award is presented annually during the TCBA’s Law Day Celebration to an attorney whose career embodies ethical ideals, courage and service to the legal profession. Steve called it a “lifetime achievement award.”
- Selected to Best Lawyers in America® (2012-2022) by BL Rankings, LLC based on work for plaintiffs in significant personal injury cases.
- Received an AVVO® Rating of Perfect 10 by Martindale-Avvo.
- Rated as AV-Preeminent – Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™, which have been recognizing lawyers for their strong legal ability and high ethical standards for more than a century.
- Received the 7th Annual Outstanding Trial Lawyer of the Year Award by Tarrant County Trial Lawyers Association for outstanding service and representation of plaintiffs in personal injury litigation.
- Presented with the annual Professionalism Award from the College of the State Bar of Texas and the Professional Award from the Tarrant County Bar Association – the only member to be honored by receiving both awards.
- Received the 2018 Tarrant County Bench Bar Big Heart Award by the Tarrant County Bar Association.
- American Law Institute | Invitation Only, organization of judges, law professors and attorneys helping to formulate rules of law in various legal areas and produce Restatements of Law.
- Advisory Board Member on ALI Restatement Third, Torts: Intentional Torts to Persons.
- American Association for Justice | Sustaining Member
- Continuing Legal Education Presenter
- Fellow – Roscoe Pound Foundation
- Fellow – National College of Advocacy
- Designated as Diplomate – National College of Advocacy
- Past – Law Student Services Committee
- AAJ Bus Litigation Group
- American Bar Foundation | Life Fellow
- American Bar Association: Member since 1980
- Academy of Trial Advocacy | Founding Member – This is a group of the nation’s top plaintiffs attorneys who share information, ideas, and skills to attempt to achieve the best possible results for their clients.
- Texas Supreme Court Committee | Three State Bar committees are appointed by the Supreme court of Texas to cover ethics-related issues.
- Past – Professional Ethics Committee
- Past – Task Force Committee on Advertising and Referral Fees
- Texas Bar Foundation: Member since 1988; Fellow since 1989.
- State Bar of Texas | Member since 1988
- Past – Advertising Review Committee Chair
- Past – Jury service Committee
- Past – Pattern Jury Charges – Volume I Committee
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association |
- Past – Board of Directors
- Past – Statewide Membership Director
- Past – Statewide Political Communications Committee Chair
- Past – Long Range Planning Committee Chair
- Past – Fundraising Committee Member & Amicus Curiae Committee Member
- Tarrant County Bar Foundation | Charter Fellow
- Past -Director
- Tarrant County Trial Lawyers Association |
- Past – President
- Past – Board of Directors
- Tarrant County Young Lawyers Association |
- Past Board of Directors
- Fort Worth Air Power Council Member (2009 – Present)
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice (now Public Justice) | Member since 1993
- Freedom of Information Foundation of Texas | Member since 1992
- Texas Supreme Court Historical Society | Charter Member since 1992.
- Phi Alpha Delta Legal Fraternity | Member since 1977
- Boys and Girls Club of Arlington |
- Past – Director
- Sigma Chi Fraternity | Member since 1972
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association |